Saturday, March 21, 2009

How Can This Happen?

I live and work in the thumb and have friends who live close to the wind turbines. I can tell this bothers them and they complain about the noise. They say the noise is worse when there's no wind on the ground and there is more wind higher up where the turbines are. In the winter with the windows shut they can sometimes hear the noise and in the summer with the windows open they say it's hard to fall asleep. I go to their house, listen for myself and agree with what they are saying. The first time I drove by a wind turbine I stopped on the road and thought it was no big deal,but now I know better. They say that sometimes when the sun is low shadows fly around the yard and flicker inside the house which is really annoying. I think it would drive me crazy to live with it. They have their life savings into their property and even if they could move, who would want to buy a house near the turbines? They feel violated and nobody cares about their concerns. When they speak up people say mean things. They know other people in the neighborhood with similar issues. Somebody told them about a nieghbor with headaches and some other health problems but not many know about this. I can see their frustration but I don't know how to help them. I heard they want to put up a lot more wind turbines in the thumb.  It makes me feel sick that our government can do this and harm people who don't have a say.  I know people want to make money from these turbines but I can't understand why nobody cares about the people. 


- Thumb Area Resident